Why Business Sustainability?
- Everything is a business!
- Businesses have the greatest net effect on people and the planet.
- 100 businesses cause 71% of total greenhouse gas emissions.
- Businesses shouldn’t make it hard for consumers by making them weigh their satisfaction against living more sustainably.
The name ‘In The Green’ refers to the business phrases “in the black” and “in the red” and the most recognizable symbol of sustainability, the color green. When a company is “in the black,” it is at the break-even point or higher; when a company is “in the red,” it is encountering losses. We chose to name ourselves In The Green because companies often profit from “going green,” or adopting more sustainable practices. Our name neatly embodies our mission as a business sustainability club to share ways that better people, planet, & profit.
Our logo, a sequence of wings growing upward and outward from red to black to green, illustrates our mission and echoes the sentiments in our name. The growth of the wings as they approach green symbolizes the constant growth a company achieves as they continue to make sustainable choices. The word “attainable” in our motto, “Attainable Business Sustainability,” points to our belief that efforts toward sustainability should be feasible and produce meaningful outcomes.
To empower students to achieve real and responsible business solutions that are environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable.
In The Green founders, December 2018
Our mission statement draws from the concept of the triple bottom line, in which businesses strive to act such that it furthers social equity, environmental stewardship, and economic prosperity in order to achieve sustainability. We emphasize “real and responsible” solutions that generate tangible, ethical results.
2019 Winter Quarter
- Case study discussions
- Guest speakers
2019 Spring Quarter
- “Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace” Panel
- Center for Global Leadership and Sustainability (CGLS) x In The Green
- Business Ethics and Sustainability Course Proposal
- Paul Merage Waste Audits and Implementation of Recycling and Compost Bins
2019 Fall Quarter and Future Plans
- Case Study Competition
- Food Recovery Program: “Zot Bites”
- Sustainable Business Expo
- Business Sustainability Symposium
- And More!